Just like a lot of people, I sometimes succumb to a well-written article as being factual and worthy of sharing. But in doing some research about the
power of one vote, I came across an interesting fact. It seems that some statistics have been quoted for years about the power of one vote. It goes as follows:
• In 1645, one vote gave Oliver Cromwell control of England.
• In 1649, one vote caused Charles I of England to be executed.
• In 1776, one vote gave America the English language instead of German.
• In 1845, one vote brought Texas into the Union.
• In 1875, one vote changed France from a monarchy to a republic.
• In 1923, one vote gave Adolf Hitler leadership of the Nazi Party.
• In 1941, one vote saved Selective Service –just weeks before Pearl Harbor was attacked.
The interesting fact? None of these claims are true. Well, while these claims may be false, there is power
in your vote. Why? Because we had a primary election in Oklahoma for a seat in the state legislature that was decided by one vote! Every vote matters.
One of the primary benefits of being a member of the Oklahoma State Home Builders Association is the power of advocacy. You have a voice at the Capitol representing your industry. But the election of pro-business legislators is a collaborative effort. We can help provide financial support through our PAC. We can provide meaningful analysis for an informed decision.
We need you to get out and vote. You can also donate to Build-PAC (you know I had to ask)! But we really need you to vote.
Your vote counts. Make it count for our industry. Until next time,
Mike Means, State EO ¦